A platform designed for employees and management staff that allows finding the contact and reference information, as well as provides the ability to plan, track, and manage the absence in the workplace (vacation, sick leave, own expense leave, etc.)
Absence of an intuitive employee management system for storing contact and general info about employees and processing vacation leaves
2-in-1 employee management system: an address book and a vacation tab.
The Emerline team was challenged to create an employee management system with an intuitive interface that could be used in companies to provide employees and management staff with the ability to find general information about colleagues, as well as create different types of vacation leaves. In this way, the desired solution was supposed to be made up of two key components: an address book and a vacation tab.
For fast and easy containerization, our team used AWS ECS Fargate, an engine that manages the infrastructure automatically, thus letting us reduce operating costs.
Relational Database Service, or RDS, automates time-consuming tasks, including database setup, regular upgrades, and backups. On top of that, it offers the capabilities of MySQL, PostgreSQL, Oracle, and other databases. Amazon Security Hub together with CloudTrail, VPC Flow, GuardDuty, Amazon Inspector, and other AWS services allowed us to enable the highest level of infrastructure security. To provide safe access to the app, we took advantage of Application Load Balancer and Amazon Certificate Manager. Amazon CloudWatch, a monitoring and notification service, helps us instantly react to abnormalities or even predict and prevent them. Jenkins and Gitlab CI became the tools that contributed to zero downtime deployment.
As it was initially planned, the product is made up of two components that accomplish different tasks. The first one is used for finding information about colleagues (Address Book), while the second simplifies vacation planning (Leave Request).
After a user signs in with a Google account, they automatically get to the Address Book page that has two search options on offer: basic and advanced.
- The basic search occurs by the name.
- The advanced search allows finding colleagues by such criteria as email, department, building, room, phone, and Skype name.
If a user wants to learn about the number of available vacation days or submit a vacation request, there’s a ‘Leave Request’ tab for that. In addition to automatically calculated vacation days available, the system also displays information about previous vacations, sick leaves, own expense leaves, etc.
There’s a ‘New Request’ form for the submission of different types of vacation requests. These could be:
- Sick leave
- Own expense leave
- Military leave The user sets the start date and end date of the required type of vacation leave, and the system automatically calculates the number of the requested days. After, it is possible to leave a comment for approvers who will receive the request via email, and tap the ‘Submit’ button. As the system is integrated with Jira, it defines the list of approvers based on the leads of the projects the user is assigned to.
When the request is submitted, it automatically gets to the field with previously approved vacations and leaves, but under a status ‘Pending Approval’. After managers approve the request and all the documents required are prepared, the request changes its status to ‘Approved and Registered’. The user is notified about the approval via email.
In addition to the address book and vacation requests, the system also allows the user to see their own business card (with a profile photo) that contains information about the department, building, and room they work in, as well as contact details (phone, Skype, and email).
Address Book module helps to find your colleague contact information in a big company
The backend of the application was developed with the use of such technologies as Node.js, TypeScript, Nest, Swagger, Redis, and MongoDB.
To ensure more convenience in use, the solution was integrated with systems actively utilized within the company, including Mailchimp, Mandrill (Mailchimp’s add-on), and Jira.
The Emerline team has successfully accomplished the goal of creating a user-friendly employee management system that offers intuitive navigation along with the desired functionality, including:
- Provided ability for all employees to find contact and general information about their co-workers;
- Ability to plan, track, and manage different types of vacation leaves. Because the developed solution is integrated with other systems used within the company, it perfectly serves as an essential and natural element of the overall IT infrastructure. The developed employee management system is actively utilized at Emerline, proving its usability and beneficial potential for end users.
More Case Studies
Smart asset management platform for optimizing IT asset management in the companies big and small. It lets businesses monitor and manage all IT assets across company facilities, schedule equipment replacements, and automate routine tasks
Web and mobile solution for businesses, their staff, and third-party service providers to increase employee engagement and loyalty